My Nightly Trudge into the Romantic Movie Kingdom

For the past week or so, and for some odd reason, I've been really enamored and engrossed on watching a bunch of foreign movies that are categorized under the romance/comedy/drama spectrum. I think it has something to do with the Christmas-y feeling in the air especially with the holiday season this year being extra special for me (oh yeah!). Or on more practical terms, maybe it's because I just want to actually watch these movies that I downloaded instead of just letting them rot and take up precious space in my filthy, old hard drive. Heh.

I really am a sucker though for these type of movies especially those that were somehow designed to recreate the teary-eyed instances of someone chopping an onion or someone letting out a big yawn. Almost every time, these lot of heartbreaking, gut-wrenching, and stomach-knotting scenes lead to a fierce, grueling battle between my heroic stand to resist the urge to weep like a little girl against that swelling pile of emotions deep inside my chest whose sole intention is to burst out of my system in the form of teardrops. I somehow just have a powerful connection with sad, uninspiring, and demotivating flicks just like when I sing along and shout in unison to tracks by Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, and Fall Out Boy. Depressing moments just evoke much more prominent sensations for me than say, a perfect love story. Maybe it's the realism and fear of this unwanted state that makes it more genuine and compelling as opposed to its idealistic, "fairy tale ending" counterpart.

These agonizing and excruciating times were certainly present on a couple of films that were a part of what turned out to be my nightly viewing habit alongside my trusted "ube" jam and cup noodles. Most of these motion pictures can be easily identified by the average movie-goer, however, there's a few gems and can't-miss flicks that didn't enjoy mainstream success mixed in there as well. So what comprised my nocturnal adventures into the land filled with hopes and dreams and love? On to the movies! 



Before Sunrise (1995)
Before Sunrise stars Ethan Hawke (Jesse) and Julie Delpy (Celine) as two strangers who meet on a train, spend one whole night roaming around Vienna, eventually fall in love with each other, and then go on their separate ways come morning. Majority of the film just shows the two stars chatting with each other but the dialogue is top-notch covering topics about love and life in general. Several scenes that stood out for me include: Jesse convincing Celine to disembark with him; the two exchanging glances while inside a sorta music room; the creation of the "milkshake" poem; and the fake phone conversations they had at a local cafe. This is a definite must-see and I guess the perfect example of how love can grow even on such limited time.

The Five-Year Engagement (2012)
Jason Segel (Tom Solomon) and Emily Blunt (Violet Barnes) play an engaged couple who encounter road bumps, uncertainties and complications that delay their planned wedding. A few years after, the two eventually overcome these obstacles and a happy ending follows. Though there were funny moments as expected from a Jason Segel-led picture, this movie struck me the most as there were scenes that presented a serious romantic tone as well as being easy to relate to some real-life situations. Stand out scene for me goes to the impromptu wedding wherein Tom had to choose from several options for their music, attire, and even the official for their marriage proper. Lastly, Alison Brie is already enough of a reason to watch this light romantic-comedy film!


The Vow (2012)
The film starts off with Channing Tatum (Leo) and Rachel McAdams (Paige), as a married couple, suffering a horrific car accident that sends Paige crashing through the windshield. Paige loses her memories of the  past years (and rather conveniently, those that she spent with Leo) and for the next few weeks, Leo tries to make Paige remember her past by re-enacting their normal daily routines but to no avail. In the end, Paige never recovers her memory but eventually learns to love Leo once again. I found this as both a sweet and tragic portrayal of love lost and love earned. Most crushing scene for me would be when Leo gave up and walked away from Paige as the reality of his failed efforts to make her remember their past began to sink in. "How can you look at the girl you love and tell yourself it's time to walk away?" Damn.

One Day (2011)
The film has an interesting concept chronicling the same day, July 15th, every year in the lives of Jim Sturgess (Dexter) and Anne Hathaway (Emma). For the most part, the two go about their own lives having their own relationship with other partners. In the end though, they both realize that the comfort and affection provided by them being together is what they were seeking for after all.  At first, the movie seems confusing especially during the annual time skips but eventually the flow gets better later in the film. What I really like about the film is that the sense of connection and need between the two characters was very apparent even though they were living in separate worlds. My favorite scene? The one where Emma gave Dexter a hug and then told him, "I love you, Dex, I just don't like you anymore." What?!

Blue Valentine (2010)
Blue Valentine depicts a certain weekend in the lives of troubled married couple Ryan Gosling (Dean) and Michelle Williams (Cindy). Throughout the movie, scenes shift between their period of courtship/early marriage and the eventual end of their partnership. I like how contrast is used in the movie such as how Dean is already content with their life but Cindy believes there is a lot more that Dean can accomplish. Story is very simple yet conveys a strong message regarding married life and its accompanying intricacies. Critics love this film and I believe everyone should also give this a try!

And that is how I've been spending the past few nights, indulging myself into the realm of romantic movies! Of the five flicks, Before Sunrise is hands down the best of the group and should be a shoo-in on everybody's to-watch list while the other four movies do offer good entertainment, a few laughs, a solid storyline, and a tear-jerking moment here and there. In terms of rankings from best to worst, I'd probably go Before Sunrise, Blue Valentine, The Five Year Engagement, One Day,and then The Vow.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll be off to watch P.S. I Love You in a bit! Afterwards, it's a date with Popoy and Basha. Oh yeah, so manly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the 29th was Celebrated

Those random movie lists

Take me back to that Sunday*