Take me back to that Sunday*

Prologue

It was a rainy Sunday morning when I trooped into the mall for a weekend rendezvous. Good thing I got into the mall just before the rain fell as my only protection from the downpour was my trusted red hoodie and its soft, fluffy fabric. I had recently lost my umbrella to an old lady, who had served her master for 80 years, living just right across our unit. She apparently had more need for it as it would allow her to use her money on food items instead of buying a parasol. Or at least, that's what my imaginative partner for this weekend thought so after I told her someone stole my umbrella. Clever.

I arrived earlier than the agreed time and immediately noticed the activity area swarming with people thanks to an Oishi event. I'm not exactly a fan of big crowds so I decided to grab a cup of ice-blended chocolate first elsewhere. That turned out to be a bad idea since immediately after the first sip, I felt my tummy start to grumble. Ugh. I remember one time she told me that chocolate drinks were a foolproof way to make your inner digestive system "explode". Why didn't you listen, Charles? SMH.

Herculean Lunch

A few minutes later, I saw her clad in her dark blue sweater, white shorts, and purple sneakers while I donned a brown Master Yoga (Yoda, actually) shirt, something she wasn't really fond of for good reasons. We proceeded to this Greek tavern called Cyma for lunch, our stomachs wailing for different reasons: mine as described earlier and hers because of those grilled pork chops she claimed was the cure for hangovers and mild headaches. And well, yeah, also because those chops are supposed to be really really good. Anyway, we ordered three items: the Hirine Brizola, the current heavyweight champion of the Grilled Pork Chop Wrestling Federation; the Roka Salata (Greek Rocket Salad) which mightily served its duty as the health officer; and the now-we-know-and-have-tried-the-Greek-national-dish-known-as Moussaka. Words cannot do justice as to how mouth-watering these dishes were so here are some proof.

So much green, so little calories.
I drooled over this one. Literally.
OMG. She wasn't joking. These killer chops though.
We spent almost two hours (again, we didn't notice the time!) patiently devouring our food while random, funny conversations dominated the table. Needless to say, what we ended up with were two full and satisfied tummies and it was just the start of the day!

Shopping Expedition

Next on the list was to purchase a replacement for my good old brown Fibrella. We scoured the plains of Landmark in search of the sacred Fibrella line but unfortunately, according to two helpful deities, only Fibrella's long lost sister was located there. Distraught and despair fell over me like those black clouds looming just outside the walled city of Trinoma yet the spirited Lady of Anonas urged me to never lose hope as she had heard rumors that Fibrella was last seen prancing around the streets of Shoemart. All we had to do was cross The Hanging Bridge of The North until we reach the gates leading to The Block. Coincidentally, the Lady had gift certificates to this infamous armor shop (H&M) located within the same area. That would serve as a nice side quest, I thought.

Thus, we proceeded to the armory first where she meticulously hovered around all the cute little stuff: bed sheets, pillow covers, shower curtains, cabinet knobs, sweaters, kiddie size dresses that fit her apparently, and denim long sleeves which she mentioned would look cool on me on any given day (and not in an early-90s-action-star-level kind of way). There were lots of really cool apparel worth buying so when the dust finally settled, she ended up with a grand total purchase of... nil. LOL.

We moved on with the search for Fibrella and luckily, it didn't take us long to find its hiding spot. What  we  discovered wasn't just a single entity though but an entire community of Fibrellas! Automated configuration, compact set-ups, full-sized versions, trendy models, etc. I settled for a heavy duty one and gave the Lady the decision to pick the color. She chose a grey variant. It was a good choice. I was the function. She was the fashion. Naks.

Arcade Wars Part 1

We moved back to Trinoma and still had some spare time before the movie - we had planned to catch one, by the way -- so we agreed to spend the next hour bringing back some old childhood memories by going to... Timezone! And well, we thought it was a great idea to put our pride and dignity on the line in the form of a basketball shoot out. So, a new Timezone card was bought and reloaded and a march to the arcade zone ensued. First stop was to fire at will at some bad guys on Time Crisis 4. It's been a while since I last played this game and I was never really good at it but I'd say we had some solid chemistry eliminating those goons through a combination of handgun bullets, shotguns shells, and machine gun madness, Unfortunately, we only made it past the first stage, Oh well.

Next up was the fight of the century also known as "The Shoot Out". Prior to this main event though, we saw around six loud, aggressive teenage boys who were incessantly throwing balls at just one hoop. It was irritating to some extent that at one point, she even tried to block one of the kids. Seriously. That was some funny shit. As for our own battle, let's just say my shooting skills were not so rusty after all.

My score. Not bad at all.
Her score. I win. Competitive!
Movie and Mushy

There wasn't a lot of choices for a must-see movie that day. She already saw Ant-man. We both already watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. We heard Fantastic Four sucked. That left two choices: The Good Lie starring Reese Witherspoon (yawn) or John Green's Paper Towns. I think it's clear which of the two we chose.

Paper Towns was littered with those coming-of-age quotes, some bordering on hugot-level feels. More than a few times after a crushing line was delivered, I'd give her a "nakakarelate ka ba?" look and she'd return the same. Good thing we got those godly corndogs and lemonades to keep the happy vibes afloat. Yet probably the most memorable part of the flick was when the characters started singing this line -- I wanna be the very best, that no one ever was. Holy. I've been a longtime Pokemon fan and well, she is too. I even lent her my Nintendo DS just so she could catch them all again. Imagine then how silly looking and hilarious we were singing along to the Pokemon tune while inside the theater. That was a glorious moment. Overall, solid movie, better company.

Arcade Wars Part 2

We figured we still had credits left on our Timezone card so we decided to use it all up before calling it a day. This time we explored our musical side by spending our credits on a karaoke machine! We definitely killed hits like Goodbye (Air Supply), Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now (Starship), Wherever You Will Go (The Calling), Maybe (King), and Hanging By A Moment (Lifehouse). And by kill, I meant, we totally wrecked, murdered, and destroyed the songs. LOL. Oh, and let's not forget how we mutilated this song too, by the way.

Allen Iverson agrees.
The last video game was definitely a colorful one, Mario Kart! She chose her favorite, Yoshi, I chose a villain, Wario. In the end, the darkness prevailed. I crossed the finish line first thus ensuring I keep a 100% winning percentage for the day. Bwahaha.

Next time, I will pick Bowser.
I'll end this lengthy post with a picture (not mine) of the very entertaining and ingenious Oishi gimmick: a human claw designed to go down a sea of Oishi snacks, an idea she had wished was her own original idea. I'm sure she'll come up with something along those lines soon.

The Snack Catcher.
If every Sunday was like this one, then let it be Sunday everyday please. Definitely one worth remembering.

/sundate /overwritememories

* Obviously a play on my favorite band, Taking Back Sunday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those random movie lists

Late post: Six months and an island sojourn

Homegrown Squad: Boston Celtics