How the 29th was Celebrated

August has always been a special month for me because of one obvious reason - it's that one day of the year where Facebook notifies my friends about an increment in my age. Yes, it's a special day but in terms of celebrations, I'd say that for the last couple of years, it's been hovering between lackluster and predictable. Mostly it's been lunch outs with the family or drinks with the boys or dinner dates. While this year wasn't entirely different, I'd say it was an interesting one due to the arrival of a new person and the departure of a dear one *sobs*. Oh, and there are the old reliables, of course.

August 14, Friday

A good friend from graduate school, who was also a Leo, sent out invites for a casual Friday dinner in commemoration of her nth birthday. I sure wasn't going to miss it especially knowing that the menu for that night was an assortment of mouth-watering sea creatures! We also got a pretty nifty surprise from our fellow classmates in the form of cupcakes (there were three August babies in our group). I still owe you a treat, by the way, Fea.

The birthday celebrants and their colorful pastries.
August 16, Sunday

With my birthday being a day away, the family decided to re-visit an old favorite, Cocolime, for a pre-birthday lunch. Predictably, our taste buds were treated to a smorgasbord of Asian goodies like the crunchy Crispy Pata, the spicy Nasi Goreng rice, the smoky Thai Chicken BBQ, and the customary Seafood Pancit Canton for longer life. Burp.

So much color and yumminess in one photo..
August 17, Monday

There's this local bakeshop in Bataan that produces a chocolate cake that I absolutely adore. I asked my dad to buy one for me for my birthday (such a spoiled little brat) and ended up having this "probinsyano in pambahay" picture taken.

Blow that candle!
It certainly wasn't an all-out butterflies/rainbows/unicorns kind of birthday though.  Exactly a week prior, we lost Lolo Edong. I spent the rest of my day at Lolo's wake sipping brandy together with my relatives. The night ended with me getting drunk which must have been Lolo Edong's way of saying "Hey kid, have fun on your special day". Thank you, Tatang.

The band at Lolo's wake.
August 18, Tuesday

For the second time in three days, I was back in Subic for an unexpected quick trip with the cousins. No particular itinerary but I thought it was an opportune time to treat them to some tried and tested steaks at Meatplus. Got myself a topsirloin which made the belly very happy.

One can never go wrong with steak.
August 20 - 21, Thursday - Friday

What happens when you put a bunch of mid to late 20s guys in a private resort with a lukewarm pool, loads of liempo, tons of beer, a malfunctioning videoke, imported chips, and a hot bowl of bulalo? An epic night full of gut-wrenching laughter, a decade's worth of crazy stories, an assortment of cursed words for the defective karaoke, and satisfied digestive systems. Always a blast with these folks.

The Beast Pose.
August 24, Monday

Potluck lunches have been a common theme at the office lately and this Monday was one of those. It also served as a post-celebration of sorts for those born under the August moonlight. Aside from the delicious assortment of home-cooked meals, I also got another birthday cake! Thank you, workmates.

Happy birthday to me!
August 27, Thursday

This night was hers. It was ten days late (Third Eye Blind reference, yeah) for a celebration, but what the heck. I received a birthday red velvet cupcake, indulged on an affordable T-bone steak, and got amazed at the storyline and concept of Inside Out. I would certainly not mind more moments like this. Cheers to new people in life! /overwritememories

The fire burns.
I am one happy kid.
August 28, Friday

I spent this Friday evening with two close friends from work. It had been a while since we last drank together so this was a good day for some beer-guzzling fun over Hoegaardens and a plate of oyster sisig.
Happy beer-day!
Oyster sisig goodness! Noms.
August 30, Sunday

The birthmonth concludes with yet another visit to Subic with the family. This time, I treated the family to some good burgers at Hotshot and got myself a pair of new blue kicks!

I always get the bleu cheese burger here.
Hehe. Pretty neat sneakers.
And that's how the 29th was celebrated. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those random movie lists

Late post: Six months and an island sojourn

Homegrown Squad: Boston Celtics