"I think I'm growing into someone you could trust"

There's been quite a number of good albums released recently so I figured it'd be a nice time to share what these records are. My musical taste still predominantly revolves around the alternative/rock/pop/punk/emo scene although recently, someone's been sneakily injecting a healthy dose of M Countdown into my daily viewing schedule. (Kaya pala familiar na yung "Fantastic, baby" sa kin. Bang Bang Bang!)

The Korean pop music invasion would have to wait for a while though so in the meantime, here are some tracks you should definitely check out. And since I'm a sucker for lyrical content, I'll include my favorite lines from each song.

1. I Don't Like Who I Was Then - The Wonder Years

Might as well start with the song I used for the title post. I Don't Like Who I Was Then (from the band's latest effort, No Closer To Heaven) packs yet again the usual passion I've come to love with The Wonder Years. Liking a song due to a few stand-out one-liners isn't ideal but when lead vocalist Dan "Soupy" Campbell belted out "If I could manage not to f*** this up" twice in the chorus, I was instantly in love with the song. <3

"You were the banner that says 'No One' that I tattoed across my heart."

2. I Can Feel You - Motion City Soundtrack

I've always been a big Motion City Soundtrack fan given their penchant for quirky powerpop sound and heart-on-the-sleeve lyrics. It wasn't a surprise then that I'd adore their track "I Can Feel You". The epic bridge alone makes this track worthy of a listen.

"If I asked you to let me go, would you hold on, would you hold on?"

3. One Love - Marianas Trench

Man, these guys can create a damn catchy hook out of thin air. "One Love" can be placed anywhere on the band's two albums (Masterpiece Theatre and Ever After) and it wouldn't feel out of place. Also, those patented Josh Ramsay crescendos are just too damn good.

"And I've been broken but I get better everyday."

4. Keep In Mind, Transmogrification Is A New Technology - Mayday Parade

I'm pretty sure this is the only song in existence that uses the word "transmogrification" in its title. The track features a shift from the usual pop-rock sound of Mayday Parade to a more alternative 90s rock vibe. It's still good though especially that ending.

"All we need is a place we can be alone. Just with you and with me and without all this desperate weight that I have."

5. January 10th, 2014 - The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die

Hmm. So how should I describe this track? An instant classic? A modern indie rock masterpiece? All aspects of this song screams epic. The killer drum part from 1:22 to 1:50. The fluid shifts in beats and tempo. The dual vocals. Oh, and that last minute stretch is just pure heaven.


"Make evil afraid of evil shadows."

6. Disdain - Knuckle Puck

There won't be a shortage of pop-punk tunes here and Knuckle Puck certainly delivers on their latest effort. They're part of what seems like a renaissance for the scene along with bands like State Champs, Neck Deep, and The Story So Far. This new breed definitely reminds me of the times when Blink-182, Yellowcard, and Fall Out Boy dominated the airwaves.


"Like what could you possibly see in a failure like me?"

6. She's In Pictures - Man Overboard

The minds behind the slogan "Defend Pop Punk" are certainly living up to that mantra. Their latest album, "Heavy Love", may quite possibly be their best to date as they continue to churn out infectious melodies. The lyrics are still cringe-worthy but if you're looking for poppy jams, Man Overboard's got you covered. 

"But why does it feel so weird when I'm looking at you?"

7. I Would Hate You If I Could - Turnover

Turnover's one of those band that hit me unexpectedly. Their sound mostly borders on the slow-rock spectrum, more commonly known as shoegaze. Songs like "Cutting My Fingers Off" brings a level of appropriateness especially during those times when you're flat on your back and contemplating why the word love brings so much hate. 

"I don't want to waste away another cell on a memory when you're just another meaningless lover."

8. Nerve - The Story So Far

My go-to-music when I just wanna scream and shout and rediscover my angtsy side. The band's discography is ridiculously also suited for jogging and working out. Seriously, I've tried it before and I can't deny that the adrenaline rush their songs provide is stupidly effective.

"Each time I chase, I feel dark blue. Confuse your face for someone new."

9. Cough It Out - The Front Bottoms

The quirky ways of this band bring a totally distinct brand of music yet it's the kind that would still be perfectly suited for mainstream radio. They're like an edgier version of Jason Mraz. It's a crime that these dudes aren't bigger.

"All the branches on the tree that we carved our initials in seem to bend and take the shape of  them."

10. Fluorescent Black - Sorority Noise

Let's end with a little-known band who's known for crafting emotionally driven tracks. This song in particular feels so grand and big especially that build up to the line "I am the night sky".  Imagine this track being played inside a huge arena. Damn.

"I'm just an orchard in the late winter months and you're just a harsh wind that blows me away."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those random movie lists

Late post: Six months and an island sojourn

Homegrown Squad: Boston Celtics