Wandering Thoughts

It's been ages since I've posted on this digital wall and quite frankly, it feels like a new experience altogether writing again. It's been quite a struggle trying to come up with interesting topics, captivating words, sufficient writing man-hours, or even just a witty title to begin with. I'd love to get into a habit of posting regularly but for the next few months, I believe these brain cells of mine are going to be dedicated into that thing called STRAMA. Every once in a while though, I have this tendency to share some short blurbs concerning not-so-important stuff that interests this silly personality of mine.

Humanity on Mars?

A couple of weeks ago, I was able to catch the premiere of National Geographic's new part sci-fi/part documentary mini-series, "Mars". The show's main plot revolves around the minute possibility of colonizing the Red Planet. It is an intriguing and insane theory to say the least but in that fleeting moment, the astro-physicist in me was revived. Hooray.

"They told us there was water here..."

MINDBLOWN.


Holy $#!t. GO WATCH WESTWORLD NOW. Okay, maybe I'm overreacting a bit. It's not the greatest show on Earth but I am absolutely loving the mysteries surrounding this futuristic cowboy-themed flick. I am definitely a fan of shows/movies that make you dig deeper (see: Inception, Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, okay these are all Nolan films, I admit) and Westworld is sure full of them. Can't wait to watch the season ender tonight!  

All hail Anthony Hopkins!

"Puso natin ay patintero sa ulan / Pagsasama natin ay tagu-taguan."

After the mid-2000s delivered what could be realistically described as one of the golden ages of the OPM scene, I shifted my ears to the foreign emo-punk-alternative scene where I delightfully discovered a ton of bands that became the discography of my post-college years. The only Filipino band that was a staple of my playlist at that time was Ang Bandang Shirley. And then I unearthed Autotelic's track "Laro" which popped out of the recommended sidebar in Youtube. And the rest, as they say, is history. One new Autotelic fan here!


Fall Anime 2016

While the fall season certainly has some good hits in terms of new anime (Drifters, Yuri!!! on Ice), I find myself going back to new seasons from my old reliables: Haikyuu (Season 3), Bungo Stray Dogs (Season 2), and Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans (Season 2). Quick notes: Kei Tsukishima has been the absolute star in Haikyuu, The Guild has been downright scary in Stray Dogs, and Mikazuki continues his bad-assery in Iron Blooded Orphans.

That's not passing through!
5 wins and 9 losses

This one's a late update too as the UAAP season is wrapping up already but as a diehard Maroon fan, I couldn't be happier to avoid a double digit figure on the loss column, a stat any UP fan was very familiar with. Granted next season already seems to be tougher with the loss of leading scorer Jett Manual, but heck, I'm still pumped up to watch this team.

Red Seas Under Red Skies

So goes the title of the second book in Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards sequence and I'd say it's a subpar work compared to "The Lies of Locke Lamora". Spoilers up ahead but I think the whole pirate story was one gigantic side quest which made the ending feel a bit rushed. The best example would be the too convenient involvement of Marius Cordo in the affairs of Locke and Jean like somehow all the pieces just fell into place. The whole reveal with the use of the chairs at the end was nifty though and I hope to see more clever acts in The Republic of Thieves. Once I get a copy, that is.

And finally, the release of Final Fantasy XV

UGH. Must wait until the Christmas break to play this goodie. UGH.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those random movie lists

Late post: Six months and an island sojourn

Homegrown Squad: Boston Celtics