One-liners and emotional state

Mic swings.
It's no secret that I am a big, unabashed fan of pop/punk/alternative bands ever since I got introduced to that one particular Taking Back Sunday song about a gun pointed to my head and wishful thinking. A quick scan of my Facebook feed and Twitter timeline reveals this fandom as both are literally littered with witty phrases and playful lyrics. Through years of downloading, listening and re-downloading, I have genuinely formed a unique bond between these well-arranged set of words and my life's current emotional state.

Enter these one-liners and catchphrases.

Perhaps the countless hours of listening to Tell All Your Friends or Take This To Your Grave or Deja Entendu enabled me, in most cases, to pull out an appropriate song line for every mood. Given that I consider myself as a happy, cheerful, and drama-free person, for some odd reason, I resonated more though with the angst-filled, gut-wrenching, slash-wrist type of songs. These tunes ultimately became the staple of my playlists for so many years with the most common theme being about girls and heartbreaks.

Stop burning bridges and drive off of them so I can forget about you. -  Tell Mick That He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today, Fall Out Boy

I'm glad that you can forgive, only hoping that as time goes, you can forget. - The Boy Who Blocked His Own Shot, Brand New

Why can't I feel anything for anyone other than you? - Cute Without The 'E', Taking Back Sunday

Then, there's Justin Pierre, Hayley Williams, and Jason Lancaster playing with words with such imaginative flare and beauty.

You're the metaphors I can't create to comprehend this curse that I call love. - Hold Me Down, Motion City Soundtrack

And the worst part is before it gets any better, we're headed for a cliff. And in the freefall, I will realize I'm better off when I hit the bottom. - Turn It Off, Paramore

Am I just another scene from a movie that you've seen one hundred times? - When I Get Home, You're So Dead, Mayday Parade

There are instances, too, when songs take on a more serious approach.

So where the hell's my hope and why can't I just try? - The Permanent Rain, The Dangerous Summer

Tears from eyes worn cold and sad. Pick me up now, I need you so bad. - Down, Blink-182

(What do I stand for?) Most nights, I don't know anymore. - Some Nights, fun.

And sometimes, they do hit a weak spot with the hardest part being that I can actually relate to it during certain points of my life.

Oh, Jesus Christ. I'm 26. All the people I've graduated with. All have kids. All have wives. All have people who care if they come home at night. - Passing Through A Screen Door, The Wonder Years

You walked in with me alone, you walked out with me alone. - 1978, Transit

I need answers for what all the waiting I've done means. - Kill, Jimmy Eat World

Recently though, all I've been wanting to hear are these lines.

At a mile a minute my heart beats to the limit when I'm with you. - Kiss Me Again, We Are The In Crowd

You found a way to make me believe that I.. I don't have to walk this road alone. - Things I Don't See, Go Radio

All my life I've looked for you. For arms that I could fall into. - With You Around, Yellowcard

If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up and I will hide you when it gets too much. - Beside You, Marianas Trench

I hope there's no end to these happy song lines and I get to hear them on repeat for a lifetime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the 29th was Celebrated

Those random movie lists

Take me back to that Sunday*