Jour de valentines heureux, mon amour

Great romances of the 21st century
Dear C,

I've got some bad news for you. I am not the perfect boyfriend.

I do not have the drool-inducing front cover-worthy physique, a pair of shiny green eyes, the facial construction of hot European guys, the charms of a mestizo boss, or the appeal of German and Serbian superstar athletes...

I know nothing (a la Jon Snow) about France -- the language, culture, politics, history, tradition, and people. Heck, I even had to Google the title for this post...

I have limited knowledge when it comes to worldly topics. Country relations. Historical references. War stories. Monarchy rumors. Government shenanigans. Entertainment gossip. Scientific breakthroughs. CNN reports. TIME articles. Rappler tweets. And of course, Korean musicians...

I still cannot hold a detailed conversation regarding books (not such a long list of books read yet) and dogs (no prior experience to properly raising one). Heck, most books I've read were your recommendations and I think I've patted Tobey more times than our dogs back home...

I still do not have the boatloads of money that will enable us to go on a shopping spree, purchase that beachfront property, embark on a tour of France and New York, and have breakfast at Tides, lunch at Tea of Spring, and dinner at Acqua everyday. Ah, the finer things in life...

There will be times when I will be anxious, insecure, jealous, inattentive, disappointing, overwhelmed, depressed, weak, bothered, boring, troubled, silly, weird, quiet, unreasonable, and shy...  

But...

...I own an adorably fat bear belly which you like to rub either when I'm making a funny gesture to elicit a good laugh from you or when we're just idly standing around and waiting patiently in a queue to get on a cab, a bus, a ferry, or a plane.

...I am honing and upgrading my French language skillz with the help of Duolingo and currently, my stats indicate a proficiency of Level 2, 110 Experience Points, and 31 words. I might need your help on those speaking parts though.

...I can share with you substantial updates on pop culture (the latest of episode The Walking Dead), sports (the press conference of Masahiro Tanaka), alternative music (he track "Flicker, Fade" off Taking Back Sunday's upcoming album), video games (the release of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII) and other goofy, geeky stuff.

...I am honestly enjoying the routine of reading books, and yes, you have absolutely converted me from a "six-hour couch potato TV monster" into a "five-hour TV + one-hour book abomination". Progress. And while I haven't started raising a canine, I have always had a soft spot for their breed.

...I will never contemplate using my VLs and buying that 7:00AM plane ticket bound for Cebu to spend a quick 3-day weekend with you over puzzle pieces of the Neuschwanstein castle, homecooked meals, disappearing movie channels, and Earl Grey milk tea parties. Ah, the simple life.

...Most of the times I will be responsible (*wink*), dependable, cheesy, romantic, sweet, funny, calm, composed, optimistic, supportive, loving, caring, trusting, affectionate, and thoughtful.

These are not excuses for my shortcomings nor a gimmick to earn sympathy. Rather, these are reminders that in spite of my flaws, you continue to make me feel special, loved, and cared for each day. Without doubt. Without uncertainty. Without fail.

I am not the perfect boyfriend. But I know how to love you perfectly. #hirit

Happy Valentine's Day, C. I am truly blessed, thankful, and grateful that I have someone like you in my life. Stay happy and full of love. I'll see you soon! <3

<3 <3 <3
Love,
C

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the 29th was Celebrated

Those random movie lists

Take me back to that Sunday*