Random midnight thoughts

Spent last Sunday just rolling around in our unit, munching leftover stuff, catching up on some anime series, occasionally defending our ancient, and draining a bunch of three-pointers. Typical boring weekend for me but that got me thinking about random stuff happening lately. So while I try my best to induce some much-needed sleep, here are some recent ruminations.

* * * * *

We spend most of our time at work. In my case, it amounts to approximately 50 hours per week. That's why I think it's critical to have a pleasant atmosphere in the workplace as it has a direct effect on your mood,  on your day, and eventually on your life. Sadly, that hasn't been the case for me. You see, for the past few months, the previously warm air circulating around our office corridors has seemingly degraded into a dark hanging cloud of misery. It's not just me though. I think almost the entire workforce acknowledges that fact. I have no idea if it'll change but as of this writing, it's a waiting game.

* * * * *

This dire state of affairs only heightens the importance of being surrounded by good, honest, and trustworthy companions. I am the kind who thrives on positive energy and just shrugs whenever the forces of darkness try to claw their way around. Luckily, I found a good set of friends who exhibit the same kind of mentality. So to servants of Sauron, the Fellowship lives on.

* * * * *

I've formed a drinking club of sorts with the same set of friends and the latest foray into our alcohol adventures came in the form of a trip to B&B: Burgers and Brewskies. A bottle of beer and a huge slab of patty is a combination I wouldn't want to miss. Having imaginative names for their product (Call The Nurse!) and an introduction to some imported beer brands (Blue Moon, Hoegaarden, Fuller's London Pride to name a few) further highlighted the always amazing booze night. #cultured Thank you for the company, guys. Highly appreciated.

* * * * *

I've been really digging my Leadership class this semester which is kinda surprising since I look at myself as more of a numbers person. Last week's topic about finding your passion (things you'd do for free) registered a deep resonance with me. Identifying an individual's passion is the first step. Aligning it with needs and opportunities that create meaning and value is a whole different monster though. Maybe put up a sports bar that plays pop-punk music? All my interests rolled into one.

* * * * *

I had this quick little chat with the ex recently which was prompted by her Facebook post (with the help of the application, Timehop) regarding the "hundred letters". I still think it's one of the most romantic things I've ever done but the ironic part is, it wasn't even my idea in the first place. That credit belongs to my former boss in Manila Water who recently celebrated her birthday. Cheers to you, Ma'am Shang!

* * * * *

Time for some sports round-up! Real Madrid's perfect form (13 straight wins!) right now is a joy to watch. They're simply annihilating and destroying the competition. Oh, and don't get me started with that beast, Cristiano Ronaldo. Dude's otherworldly.

* * * * *

The NBA is back and I have no specific team to root for. But I do cheer for specific players. Stephen Curry's a given but you gotta love the performance of Anthony Davis thus far. Kid's a beast and a future MVP with the way he's filling up the stat sheet every single night. Now if only I joined a fantasy league this year... oh, never mind. Honorable mention too to Boogie Cousins. I love me some underdogs.

* * * * *

While I've been indulging and thoroughly enjoying Taylor Swift's 1989 (it's my pop record of the year), emo-rock outfit Have Mercy's second full-length A Place Of Our Own has sneakily crept up into my playlist. That familiar raspy voice is back with the same intensity and passion that I absolutely loved from their debut album. Should be spinning this for quite a while. *grins*

* * * * *

Finally, after 15 years and 700 chapters, Naruto has come to an end. I've been reading the manga since I think early college days and I honestly don't know what to feel about that ending. I found the time skip interesting only because I got to see how the characters looked like years after the war. My most favorite part though did not have anything to do with the storyline. Instead, it was the subtle nods between Kishimoto (the One Piece logo on the last page) and Oda (the Naruto references on the cover page) that really triggered the feels. Classy and epic gesture between the two.

Good night Naruto. Great run you had there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the 29th was Celebrated

Those random movie lists

Take me back to that Sunday*